Friday, February 25, 2011

funny things Germans do

Remember Fidelio F. Finke Street?  (See 20 December 2010.)  Well...through my connections, I was led into the music department offices of the big library -- closest I've come to the actual manuscripts I'm working on.  And there hanging in the hallway was a set of pastels of scenic designs for Finke's 1960 opera, Der Zauberfisch, or The Magic Fish.  Whipped out my camera and took a couple shots.  (This is the good one.)  Finke was a favorite composer of the communist East German regime.  Born elsewhere, he lived, worked, and died in Dresden.

Look who's selling cars these days!  I've also seen him pitching a cola brand.  I guess the famous photo of him is out of copyright.  In case you can't see it well, it's Che Guevara, the revolutionary.  And Dacia must be a make of car we don't have.

Right down the street from the German Hygiene Museum is the "Ace Beer Bar."  Here's a picture.  After I had taken no more than 2 or 3 shots, a lady came out of the "Ass" and chased me away, asking what I was "so eagerly photographing."












Speaking of hygiene (and protection)--the one on the right is "extra wet," by the way:


They love Asian food here in Germany.  Most of it, regardless of type, is prepared by Vietnamese emigres.  Here's a great offer.  The Schwein Yaki costs 5.50 Euros, in case you can't read the price.

And finally, a quiz.  Here's a photo of a store in the Neustadt neighborhood of Dresden.  Doppellotte.  Your question is:  what does this store have to do with the stupid 1990s Disney comedy, "The Parent Trap?"  No, the store doesn't appear in the film, in any way.  Answer next time I get around to writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment