Friday, December 17, 2010

getting organized, if not settled

I've now been living at the Weidner's for a week, getting organized and apartment hunting.  Today could be decisive, or perhaps semi-decisive, depending on what happens with a couple phone calls.  Anyway, I have to be out of here this weekend, as grandpa is arriving and wants the room.

Meeting with the professor was to have been yesterday at 10 am, but I arrived 6 hours late due to a fuck-up with the computer, which moved all my appointments, past and present, to European time when I reset the clock to the local time.  So I showed up 6 hours late.  Or on time, Pittsburgh time.  Spoke to the professor by phone from his office.  He took it in good humor, and told me it really makes no difference, since I will be in town for such a long time.  I then taught him a new English word (see above), which most amused him.  I did apologize, though, and told him I accepted responsibility.  Will see him Monday.

Meantime, got a bank account and my first cellphone -- a Blackberry.  I'm told it's the best choice for syncing my Outlook contacts and calendar between computer and phone.  So it will take the place of my old Palm PDA.  I don't plan to use it for internet or email, so I got a cheap plan.  

Moving backwards:  my journey to Dresden was delayed due to lots of snow in Germany.  Got to Frankfurt fine, but the flight to Dresden was canceled.  So Lufthansa handed me a train ticket and literally pointed the way to the train station, and said I was on my own.  But many trains were canceled, too.  It wasn't too bad, though.  The train trip is some 4+ hours, and I only ended up arriving in Dresden 7 or 8 hours late.  And the train stopped in some towns that were rather important in the life of J.S. Bach:  Eisenach where he was born, Weimar, and Leipzig.  (Wish we could have stopped in Köthen, though.)  Never would have been there if I had flown.  Though it doesn't quite count if you only stop at a train station for 90 seconds.

Baggage was another story:  it arrived 3-1/2 days later, but delivered to my doorstep.  Lufthansa promised to buy me some underwear and cosmetics.  We'll see if they actually do reimburse the receipts I sent them.

The weather here remains cold (upper teens and 20s) and very snowy.  Apparently the snowiest December on record.  Quite beautiful in the snow, though it's rather inconvenient.  I was smart to have packed my good rugged snowy weather shoes.  That's all I wear these days.  Shoe-wise.

Heard a performance of the complete Christmas Oratorio of Bach in the Frauenkirche, the big recently re-constructed church. Quite an event, and not often done in the complete 3-hour version.  (Usually one half at a time.)  Plan to hear the Staatskapelle Dresden this Tuesday with Andsnes doing the Mozart c-minor concerto, and Dvorak 7.  Under Blomstedt, their former boss.

The town is quite pretty with all the snow, and decked out for the Christmas season.  Lots of outdoor markets in spite of the weather, selling food, gifts, and above all, Glühwein (hot mulled wine).  Everywhere.  Tried it once, and it's quite tasty and potent.

Workwise, I translated into English, at great length, the foreword of the edition of 5 bassoon concerti to be published soon.  Of course, having missed the planning appointment, I don't yet have any further specific assignment, but that will come very soon.  By the way, the professor told me I can use his office at the university any time, and his secretary gave me the key.

little Nele setting the breakfast table
Off to see Michael Hurshell later today.  He's an American conductor I met last time I was in town, and knows the professor.  He's lived here forever, and runs a Jewish Chamber Philharmonic that plays music by Jewish composers (though the players are mostly or all gentile, I take it).  He may be a good contact to have.

Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment