Monday, May 2, 2011

more funny German stuff (in my opinion)

This is a little poster on a lamp post down the street from me, left over from the February, 2011 demonstrations I wrote about at the time.  And the more I look at this, the funnier it gets.

It wants people to listen to Schönberg instead of Wagner, I take it because Wagner was beloved by Nazis and Schönberg wasn't, and was Jewish.  It shows an image of an Egon Schiele portrait of Schönberg and a well-known standard one of Wagner (whose painter I don't know).  The blue circle at the left edge calls people out to counter-demonstrations against the neo-nazis.  It even uses typography to help make its point.

My god.  People should listen to Schönberg over Wagner?  Sure, they're both great composers, but 99% + of the demonstrators would certainly prefer Wagner's music if they heard both back to back.  If they've even heard of them.  Totally silly.

Then I noticed the little line at the bottom of the sign saying who put it out.  Using lots of abbreviations, it seems to come from the anti-fascist committee of the student council of the Dresden Conservatory of Music.  Great.  Good left-wing students, as is expected in German universities.  And just as thoughtful as you'd expect, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment